Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Garden Seeds

Now that you have decided on what vegetables your garden will be growing, it's time to buy the seeds. You are more than welcome to buy your seeds at Wal-Mart, but our goal is to become self-sufficient. The seeds at any of your stores are most likely hybrids and you will not be able to harvest the seeds in order to grow next season. So while you may be able to have a prospering garden this year, the garden will not exist next year unless you return to the store to buy new seeds. I prefer to only buy the seeds once.

A great way to find these seeds is from survivalists. Survivalists plan on a world changing event which will make a trip to the local store impractical or pointless. One product that I like is this Survival Seed Vault. The maker guarantees the seeds are not hybrids and non-GMO meaning you can harvest the seeds year after year. There are so many seeds in this package, you could easily split the cost with a friend that is also planning a city garden and there should be more than enough for the both of you.

I tried planting the seeds from Wal-Mart and even though they sprouted, they didn't do much after that. This year I will keep a photo journal comparing Wal-Mart seeds to the survival seeds and we will see which is more successful.

Next post we will talk about building a cheap home-made indoor greenhouse to get your seeds started while it is still cold out.

2 comments:

  1. what about a garden place like Lowe's or Home Depot or an actual garden center for seeds??? Would that work???

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never tried their seeds so I cannot comment on them. However, I have relied on Lowe's for new seedlings when my seedlings do not sprout in time. While I have had no problems with Lowe's seedlings producing in my garden, I prefer to save my money when I can. Growing my own costs less than $1 per plant compared to $4-$6 at Lowe's. Thanks for the question.

    ReplyDelete